Greater Chicagoland Chapter of NARI Provides Top 10 Remodeling Resolutions
If you’re considering a major investment like a kitchen re-do, room addition or bathroom renovation, it’s crucial to research candidates scrupulously. The goal is to enlist an experienced, qualified and reputable professional who will not only complete the contract as specified—on time and on budget—but who makes you feel comfortable and reassured. After all, this person and his crew will be spending a significant amount of time in your home.
“This is an important decision that shouldn’t be based solely or primarily on price,” said Mimi Altman, executive director of the Des Plaines-based Greater Chicagoland Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). “There are many important criterion you should consider and questions to ask before signing a contract. These are a few helpful ideas that will have you on your way to having a comfort level and selecting the right contractor for the job.”
Top 10 Remodeling Resolutions
10. Before I contact a contractor, I will have a solid idea of the scope of work that I want completed and a firm budget amount to share with the contractor.
9. I will thoroughly research any contractor that I am considering. This includes contacting the Greater Chicagoland Chapter of NARI and the Better Business Bureau.
8. If I receive more than one estimate, I will make certain that estimates for the work are comparable with similar products and scope of work. If they are not, I will make it my responsibility to find out why they are different. I will also be aware that if it is not on the estimate, it is not included in the price.
7. I will set aside uninterrupted time to interview a contractor in order to express my project’s needs and hear the contractor’s suggestions.
6. Before I select a contractor, I will double check that they maintain all appropriate certifications, licenses and insurance necessary to complete my project.
5. I will ask for references for each of the contractors I am considering and will contact them using the “Call References and Ask” list of questions located at www.narichicago.org. I will ask to see their work, if necessary.
4. I will completely read and understand any contract presented to me prior to signing it.
3. I will download a copy and thoroughly read "Home Repair - Know Your Consumer Rights" from the Illinois Attorney General’s office.
2. I will not make my contractor selection decision based on price alone. I will take into consideration my contractor’s experience, involvement in the industry, references’ comments, thoroughness of the estimate, and, most importantly, my overall level of comfort with the company. Once I select a contractor, I will maintain open lines of communication, addressing any needs immediately.
1. I will thoroughly enjoy my newly remodeled space!
Based in Des Plaines, The Greater Chicagoland Chapter of NARI (www.narichicago.org) is a not-for-profit trade association founded in 1987 and currently consisting of approximately 280 member companies. NARI of Greater Chicagoland is committed exclusively to the service of the local professional remodeling industry, representing professional remodeling contractors, product manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, trade and consumer publications, utilities and lending institutions.