Fall Fest: New Ally Joins a Side in Wet Tradition Between Neighbors (Video)
The annual, post-parade water balloon fight between the Waldrons and Doogans was a bit lopsided this year. That's why a certain community website might have tried to even up the sides.
It's not the Hatfields and McCoys. Heck, it's not even a contentious episode of Family Feud.
But for the past 11 years or so, the day of the Frankfort Fall Festival turns into all-out war for North sider Terry Waldron and South sider Veva Doogan, who live across the street from on another at the intersection of Walnut and Nebraska streets.
Well, it's all-out war for the five minutes or so that it takes both sides to fling all their water balloons after the parade end.
Patch was on hand again to capture this village tradition. However, we admit to throwing our objectivity out the window and joining Waldron's side this year. That meant helping to recruit "water warriors" and outfitting the team with snazzy Patch T-shirts and sunglasses.
In our defense, the Waldron ranks were low to begin with (family members had prior commitments), and the Doogan contingent was supplying "ammunition" and "soldiers" for the other side, too. Plus, who doesn't want to back an underdog?
Check out the video of the water balloon fight in the media gallery, as well as photos of the splash-a-thon in our Fall Fest parade gallery. You also can take a peek at last year's event, which was a special fundraiser for Abby Skarbek, the daughter of Lincoln-Way North High School baseball coach North baseball coach Joe Skarbek who was recently diagnosed with leukemia.
Other Fall Festival Stories on Patch:
- Fall Fest: Parade Marches On; Final Day Arrives (Photos)
- Experience 2 Carnival Rides From the Comfort of Your Laptop
- Frankfort Couple Named Grand Marshals for Fall Fest Parade
- Fall Fest Earns Top 10 Ranking Among National Arts and Crafts Shows
- VIDEO: 'Art Will Always Be a Part of My Life,' Says Fall Fest Poster Winner
- Fall Fest: Has the Weekend Become Too Crowded?
Two Ways to Stay Connected to Frankfort Patch:
- Subscribe to our newsletters to have headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox.
- "Like" our Facebook page for updates throughout the day.