UPDATE: Mokena Residents Weather the Storm
Main roads were plowed Wednesday morning, but more remote subdivisions were still waiting for village plows to show up.
Updated at 3:20: Berkot's closed.
Mokena residents awoke to knee-deep snow drifts Wednesday morning as village crews scrambled to plow main streets and subdivisions. The main roads were plowed early, but by noon, remote cul-de-sacs and subdivisions were still waiting to have snow removed from their streets, Village Administrator John Downs said. Downs could not say when the snow would be removed from all the streets.
"We've definitely got our hands full with mother nature," Downs said, adding that this was the most intense snowstorm he has seen in Mokena since he moved here 23 years ago. According to the National Weather Service, Joliet was under 12 inches of snow at 7 a.m.
Downs said around 250 residents had lost power. ComEd was expected to restore most of the power by 3 or 3:30 p.m.
Front Street residents were busy clearing snow from their driveways and sidewalks this morning. Kids took a break from shoveling to throw snowballs.
Those that had the day off from work stopped in at Little Al's for a rare weekday morning drink while Some Like It Hot played on the bar's television screen. "I didn't get a day off work," the busy bartender joked.
- Update: Berkot's on Wolf and LaPorte is closed because of a power outage. A store employee was waiting for ComEd at 3:20 and said he hoped for normal store hours Thursday. Across the street, Walgreen's was open.
- All Lincoln-Way 210 high schools are closed and all after-school activities and athletics are canceled.
- Mokena 159 schools are closed and all evening activities are canceled.
- St. Mary is closed.
- Noonan Elementary Academy is closed.
- Mokena Community Public Library District is closed.
- A Site Plan/Architectural Review Committee Meeting scheduled for today has been postponed to Feb. 9.
- Mokena Community Park District is closed all day.
- Spin Club has cancelled its 5:30 and 6:45 classes.
- Fleckenstein's is closed all day.
- All Lincoln-Way Schools will be on a delayed start schedule. Buses will run 90 minutes later than normal.
Keep checking Mokena Patch for updates.
Want more images from around town? We just posted a bunch of photos to our Facebook page.