Sean Duggan, who succumbed at the age of 10 to cancer on March 18, 2009, is far from forgotten. After his death, his parents, John and Jill Duggan of Frankfort, established the Sean Duggan Foundation.
Today, the day before the fifth anniversary of Sean's death, the Duggan's are hoping that the 5th Annual Never Back Down Toy Drive for children battling the disease is a success. Toys destined for Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital in Chicago can still be dropped off at six spots around the Southland.
- Tribes Alehouse, 11220 Lincoln Highway, Mokena
- Tribes Alehouse, 9501 171st St., Tinley Park
- St. Anthony Church, 7659 W. Sauk Trail, Frankfort (before and after Mass)
- Main Park, 200 S. Locust St., Frankfort
- Triple R. Child Care, 9500 W. LaPorte Road, Mokena
- Mc Divot's Sports Bar & Grill, 12900 S. LaGrange Road, Palos Park
On the day that would have been Sean's 15th birthday, Aug. 7, the Duggan's plan to deliver the toys to the oncology ward at Luri's Children's Hospital.
John Duggan said he's proud how people in and around the Lincoln-Way communities have remained supportive, honoring the memory of the little boy whose favorite sport was football. He played with the Frankfort Falcons in 2009.
"At this point, we're just excited about the longevity of the (foundation.) A lot of people know us from football. It's lasted the test of time," he said.