With charitable giving having a tendency to drop off after the holidays, mid-February is probably the perfect time to consider donating time or money. This week, your area Patches found five Lincoln-Way nonprofits that make a big difference in our community and that could use your help.
Patch Picks: Five area nonprofits making a difference
- FISH Retail Store, 9625 W. 194th Place, Mokena. This second-hand store is open Fridays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and accepts donations of clothing and some household items. All the proceeds go to Mokena-Marly-Frankfort FISH, which offers food, clothing, counsel, overnight shelter, help with utility bill payments, transportation assistance and more to local residents in need. Volunteers sort, size, and prepare the clothing for sale. Call (708) 478-1671 for more information.
- Mokena Pack 39. This area Cub Scout pack provides a valuable service in encouraging boys to grow to be more self-reliant, dependable, helpful and caring. The scouts also give back to the community through food drives and fundraisers. For volunteer information, contact the pack committee.
- Trinity Services. This is a national nonprofit that has big ties in the south suburbs of Chicago. It offers programs and services for children and adults with developmental disabilities and/or behavioral health needs. Now, Trinity also offers Community Living Programs, adult learning, supported employment, an autism center and more.
- , 11000 W. Lincoln Hwy., Frankfort. Although it's located in Frankfort, the food pantry serves families and individuals throughout the village and Mokena, as well as parts of Orland Park and Tinley Parks. The pantry can always use volunteers, but if you would like to host your own food drives, the organization has a wish list of food items it needs this season. The pantry is open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays. Call 815-469-4907, ext. 2761.
- Suburban Service League. This Frankfort-based organization holds fundraisers to raise money for people and groups in need throughout the south suburbs. The league is best known for its annual Crystal Ball, which is held every November. For more information, visit the group's website or e-mail email@example.com.