While the Jr. Griffins Board is excited about their inaugural season, we are disheartened by as it erroneously infers some culpability by the Jr. Griffins. The situation is complicated and confusing; however, the issues are solely between the MCPD and the Mokena Burros. The Jr. Griffins had no involvement in the decisions of the park board concerning the Burros. In fact, we always expected that the community parks and fields would be shared. Park district resources are shared well in other area communities, and within other sports programs in Mokena. Many of the surrounding communities have multiple football programs and it hasn’t negatively impact their community.
The Jr. Griffins were formed as another option for the community. It is a different organization, playing in a very different league. Everything from the weight and age divisions, to the playing time options, mark clear differences. The primary driver in the Jr. Griffins formation was the appeal of competing in the River Valley Youth Football League. It is a highly organized, first-class
league. The choice was leave Mokena to play in the league, or bring the league to Mokena. We chose to bring the advantages of the River Valley to Mokena.
Here is why:
- Flexible weight structure that accommodates players of all weights so they may play with their friends of the same age in a safe playing environment.
- Fifth quarter (additional half of football) on weekend game days, and Wednesday night games, that maximizes playing time for all players
- Large, well organized league that includes virtually all of Mokena’s area communities
- Highly competitive (many of the best high school players in the state previously played in this league)
- Game times that start at 11 a.m. or later for more convenience
- River Valley League teams have great fields and facilities
- All siblings are in the same location, and on the same day
The Jr. Griffins are open to all tackle, cheer, and flag players. All players will receive brand new state-of-the-art equipment. Cheerleaders will be fitted with brand new cheer uniforms.
Our Mission Statement is: To develop and enhance the skills of our players in a competitive environment so that they may advance onto area high school teams and beyond. To cultivate a healthy, confident, and winning attitude through achievement and commitment. To create a purposeful and disciplined culture in which a determined team spirit prevails over individual self-interest.
We are thrilled to provide this program to the community, and sincerely hope that all football, cheer, and flag players find a comfortable place to play, regardless of what organization name is on the front of the jersey.
The Mokena Jr. Griffins Board