Worker Saved After Arm Caught in Meat Grinder

Orland firefighters took the man, with his arm still stuck in machinery, to Silver Cross Hospital to safely remove his arm from the grinder. The call was described as a first for the fire district.

Orland firefighters recently worked with Silver Cross Hospital doctors to save a man after his arm was caught in a meat grinder.

The Orland Fire Protection District were called Saturday about a worker whose hand was caught in a meat grinder, and extracting him without injuring him further would be lengthy and challenging on scene, according to a release from the district. Firefighter/paramedics on scene began taking apart the machinery around the grinder, in order to move the man to the hospital.

“The decision was made to transport the worker with his arm still in the grinder part of the machine to Silver Cross Hospital where doctors could assist the rescue team in the removal,” Orland Fire Chief Ken Brucki said in the release. “This was a first in the history of the Orland Fire Protection District.”

Once at the hospital, doctors determined that traditional surgery also wouldn’t work to save the man, given the machinery he was caught on, according to the release. Combining two disciplines, the man was released from the grinder by a firefighter using a smaller version of the Jaws of Life to cut away the machinery, under the emergency room doctors’ direction.

Brucki described it like a scene from a movie 

“The extrication lasted about 20 minutes and was successful,” Brucki said in the release. “The ER staff immediately took over care as the firefighters began to put their equipment back in service. This is another example of how well trained our Orland firefighters are to handle unique situations.”

Sign up for Orland Park Patch breaking news alerts.

Like us on Facebook  and follow us on Twitter.

Linda November 09, 2012 at 02:13 PM
Wow amazing this happened. This is like a replay from the Wednesday night episode of "Chicago Fire". Hope he will be OK
voklst November 09, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Outstanding!!!! My dad died in May '05. The OPFD/paramedics were called to our home several times prior to that. My dad was obesely overweight and Diabetic. My dad kept going into diabetic comas due to low blood sugar and low blood pressure. My dad was always surprised to see all these guys in uniform, working on him when he woke up, out of his stupor. A doctor informed us a month prior to his death my dad had stopped taking all his meds. My mom and I were just happy to have any extra time we could get. The OPFD/Paramedics made that possible. They are great. And just a phone call away.
bob connors November 09, 2012 at 04:45 PM
lala November 09, 2012 at 06:20 PM
I think its a big deal. How would you have handled it?
TELL THE TRUTH November 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM
A very big deal indeed!! Looks like the fire district is heading in the right direction these days. We are big fans of our firefighters and its new leadership!!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »