Many Lincoln-Way area residents want more gun control, a repeal of last year's income tax hike and marijuana to remain illegal, at least according to a survey administered by Rep. Renee Kosel (R-New Lenox).
Kosel issued a nine-question survey in January that covered a wide range of issues, including job creation, income taxes, schools and more. Kosel said she'll use the feedback to "represent the district effectively."
“Hearing directly from my constituents on the issues that matter most to them and their family is an invaluable resource for me,” Kosel said in a news release.
Kosel said hundreds of constituents responded to the survey, and she noted that the tallies were not done scientifically and only reflect the opinions of those who participated in the survey.
Here are the results:
1. What issue is most important to you?
- Jobs/economy: 22.2 percent
- Pensions: 21.4 percent
- Taxes 11.7 percent
- Balance state budget/unpaid bills: 9 percent
- Spending/fiscal responsibility: 5 percent
- Political corruption: 4 percent
- Other: 24 percent
2. Do you support repeal of the 66% income tax rate increase enacted in January 2011?
- Yes: 56.8 percent
- No: 29.3 percent
- Undecided: 13.9 percent
3. What do you think would be the most effective way to stimulate job growth in Illinois?
- Tax incentives for employers: 27.4 percent
- Lower taxes: 18.6 percent
- Less government regulation: 8.5 percent
- Capital/infrastructure investment: 5.5 percent
- Support small business: 5 percent
- Fiscal accountability: 3.5 percent
- Workers comp reform: 1.5 percent
- Other: 30 percent
4. In regards to the expansion of gambling in Illinois, do you think Illinois should:
- Create additional casinos: 45.5 percent
- Slots at racetracks and/or at major airports: 9 percent
- New casinos AND slots at racetracks/airports: 2 percent
- None of the Above: 34.5 percent
- Undecided: 9 percent
5. With respect to gun issues, do you believe we need more gun control, less gun control, or are current gun laws adequate?
- More gun control: 49.4 percent
- Less gun control: 38 percent
- Current gun laws are adequate: 12.6 percent
- More strict enforcement of gun crime sentencing provisions: 0 percent
6. Should the state legalize marijuana?
- Yes: 39.3 percent
- No: 44.9 percent
- Undecided: 15.8 percent
7. Do you believe Illinois should consider consolidating school districts?
- Yes: 41.5 percent
- No: 41.5 percent
- Undecided: 17 percent
8. Do you believe township governments should be consolidated?
- Yes: 48.5 percent
- No: 35.5 percent
- Undecided: 16 percent
9. Do you support investment in constructing a high-speed rail line between Chicago and St. Louis?
- Yes: 35 percent
- No: 52 percent
- Undecided: 13 percent
You can contact Kosel's district office by calling 708-479-4200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.